Juntos Family Day 2017 Recap
OSU Juntos Family Day 2017: A tremendously successful event marrying collegiate pathways, Latin@ students, their families, and all things Oregon State!
This year, the Corvallis campus welcomed more than 1,150 people from 23 communities across the state to partake in Juntos Family Day. This OSU Open Campus event is designed to bring Juntos students and their families to Oregon State to engage in college and career showcase workshops, as well as connect with educational resources, social groups, programs, financial aid, and other opportunities. The driving goal behind Family Day is to give families a snapshot of OSU college life and build upon the Juntos tradition of offering community-based preparation and educational pathways.
On April 29, we were honored to have President Ed Ray and Outreach & Engagement Vice Provost Scott Reed kick off the day with a celebratory welcome!
After this introduction, the eleven colleges of Oregon state hosted workshops where families were able to learn about potential college degrees and future career paths.
Following lunch at the colleges, participants were able to attend athletics, dorm, dining, and campus tours, financial aid and scholarship presentations, an Honors college workshop, and a vendor fair joined by 30 OSU organizations and groups.
The event ended on a high with a fiesta in the Plaza, where families enjoyed listening to mirthful mariachi music, watching children whack away at piñatas, and chatting with vendors under the sun! Of course, the day would not have been complete without a visit from our local celebrity, so Benny the Beaver made sure to stop by and take pictures with everyone!
Juntos Family Day was only such a success due to the contributions and support from our sponsors, OSU colleges and departments, and our volunteers. We would like to thank everyone who was a part of our extraordinary day:
- Our amazing sponsors: OSU Libraries and Press, College of Public Health and Human Sciences, OSU Extension, College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, College of Liberal Arts, and College of Forestry. Thank you for your generous donations!
- All of our spectacular OSU Colleges: Agricultural Science, Business, Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Education, Forestry, Public Health and Human Sciences, Pharmacy, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Sciences, and Veterinary Sciences. Your time and effort with the workshops was immensely appreciated and the biggest part of the event’s impact.
- All of our volunteers and staff: Thank you for going above and beyond to ensure Juntos families were given the day they deserve!
- Thank you to all of the OSU programs, departments, and colleges that participated in our vendor fair and afternoon workshops to offer a glimpse of what OSU can offer our students! A special thank you to Financial Aid and the Honors College!
- Thank you Ed Ray, Scott Reed, and Benny Beaver!
- Of course, a BIG thank you to all Juntos family participants that came from all over the state! We hope you enjoyed your time here!
We hope everyone will join us again in 2019 and, in the mean time, please enjoy the Juntos Family Day photos from local OSU photographers Hannah O’Leary and Rick Henry. View, download, and share at bit.ly/JD2017Pics, Password: JuntosFD2017, and bit.ly/JD2017Pics2.